With the ubiquity of Wi-Fi-enabled smart phones, tablets and laptops comes an increased demand for bandwidth which is placing a strain on current 3G mobile infrastructure. As a result, users are starting to see the impact of degraded Internet browsing and rich media application performance.
To retain subscriber loyalty and satisfy the never-ending demands for more bandwidth, carriers must deploy alternative solutions or incur the cost of moving quickly to a 4G infrastructure. Wi-Fi hotspots are a cost effective bridging technology between 3G mobile, WiMAX, cable broadband services and the growing 4G networks.
Metro Area Wi-Fi HotZones can provide a host of benefits to cities and municipalities, such as
Municipal councils and local government can leverage the same HotZone network to generate multiple sources of revenue without additional capital expenditure. In addition, there are opportunities for cost savings for automated muni-services. Internet access via the HotZone can be monetized to provide additional revenue which can offset the cost of the installation or provide additional recurring revenue for use in other capital projects.
- City wide high-speed Internet access for residents, businesses and government organizations
- Ad-hoc networks for conventions, festivals, special events or emergencies
- Improved security by deploying city-wide security and surveillance systems
- Access continuously updated for public transportation that can be monitored wirelessly
- Increased productivity by giving city employees network access while working in the field
- Improved service and shortened response times by closely monitoring utilities and other municipal services in real time